About this recipe
I recently shared a recipe for the perfect portable lunch on the Suncoast View: Mason Jar Salad. It was such a hit that I decided I should share it with The Naked South readers, too. I grew up eating and drinking out of Mason jars, as I’m sure a lot of you have. They are durable, reusable, and look cute, too. Using this method for building a salad in a Mason jar is great for summer beach picnics and prepping a portable lunch to take to work. Once assembled, it can even sit overnight in the fridge.
Chances are you’ve already seen this idea circulating on the Internet but have yet to try it. Now’s your chance! Feel free to swap out any ingredients you either don’t like or don’t have on hand in this Tex-Mex-inspired recipe, but don’t fool with the Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette — it’s dynamite exactly the way it is.
I learned something new about romaine lettuce this week: It helps fight breast cancer. Eating foods rich in folate like romaine lettuce (and black beans, too — a double-whammy in this recipe!) may reduce your risk for breast cancer by 44%.
My neighbor’s mango tree is overflowing with fruit, so they’ve been showing up in a lot of my cooking lately. Mangoes provide the antioxidant zeaxanthin, which works to protect your eyes from the sun and may help prevent macular degeneration. How appropriate for summer! Eating seasonally never ceases to prove its benefits.
The Chipotle-Lime Vinaigrette is a powerhouse of healthful ingredients. It really pays to get in the habit of making your own salad dressings. It’s so simple and a great opportunity to do something awesome for your body. Extra virgin olive oil, for example, fights cancer. But not all EVOO is created equal. Look for cold-pressed and unfiltered oils to make sure you’re getting the most benefits.
To make the vinaigrette:
- Combine all ingredients in a small Mason jar, secure lid, and shake vigorously until combined.
To assemble the salad:
- Pour 2 tablespoons vinaigrette in bottom of a 1-quart, wide mouthed Mason jar.
- Top with remaining ingredients as follows: scallions, black beans, bell pepper, avocado, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, mango, pumpkin seeds.
- Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Secure lid on jar.
- When ready to serve, make sure lid is secure and shake and twist jar in every direction until thoroughly mixed. Eat immediately.