- ½ medium head cabbage
- 2 ears corn, cooked and cooled
- ¾ cup very finely chopped arugula
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- ½ cup pecans, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (see note)
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
About this recipe
Did you know cabbage helps detoxify your body? I just learned this and have added it to the list of cabbage’s amazing health benefits, including cancer-fighting powers and tons of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Eating it raw, like we are in this recipe, is the best way to get the most out of this vegetable.
Arugula, cabbage’s cousin, is the most nutritious salad green you can eat. Plus it has a robust flavor that rounds out any dish. Once again, raw is best.
Along with a delicious buttery and sweet flavor, pecans offer a lot of health benefits. Rich in fatty acids and antioxidants, pecans help keep our hearts healthy and protect against cancer. They are high in fat but make up for it by warding off hunger and protecting our skin from free radical damage.
- Use the large holes of a box grater to shred cabbage; you should have about 2½ cups. Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl.
- Cut corn kernels from cob and add to cabbage. Add arugula, celery, pecans, and cheese. Toss to combine.
- Add oil, lemon juice, and sugar. Taste and add more oil or lemon juice as needed to moisten.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Whenever I call for a "finely grated" ingredient, I want you to use a Microplane grater. If you don't have one, pick one up at most grocery or kitchen stores. It's a very handy tool.