- 6 slices sourdough bread, torn into ¼-inch pieces
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound fusilli (or macaroni of choice)
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup Half and Half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound smoked Gruyère, shredded
- ½ cup shredded triple cheddar cheese with a touch of philadelphia
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
Courtesy of Wendy Bradshaw – Winner of the 1st Annual Molly’s Mac n’ Cheese S’mac Down
Preheat oven to 375° and butter a 9 X 13-inch casserole dish.
Place bread pieces in medium bowl. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter, pour over bread and toss.
Cook macaroni according to package directions and set aside.
Melt 8 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Continue whisking as you slowly add milk, Half and Half, and heavy cream, stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick, approximately 10–12 minutes. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper along with 1 1/2 cups each of the extra sharp cheddar and smoked Gruyère, and all of the triple cheddar and parmesan, Stir macaroni into cheese sauce and pour entire mixture into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining extra sharp cheddar, smoked Gruyère, and breadcrumbs over the top and bake until golden brown (approximately 30 minutes).