- 1 loaf French bread
- 4 chorizo sausage
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (plus additional for brushing)
- Garlic salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (separate into two portions)
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes (preferably roma), coarsely chopped and seeds removed (if you like)
- 6 large fresh basil sprigs, chopped, plus additional for garnish
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 roasted red pepper cut into strips
Slice the bread, brush with olive oil and garlic salt, and bake in oven until lightly toasted. Meanwhile, grill the sausage and prepare the tomatoes as follows:
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add garlic, onion and fennel seeds and sauté lightly, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and remove from heat.
Top bread slices with the tomato mixture and serve with sliced chorizo sausage.
Garnish with roasted red pepper strips.