Sponsored by Whole Foods Market, Edible Sarasota’s Holiday Cookie Countdown features a scrumptious cookie recipe every day of December until Christmas.
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, scraping bowl as necessary.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour, scraping bowl as necessary, until a soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into two portions, form into 1-inch-thick disks, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or until ready to use.
- Heat oven to 350°. Working with one dough at a time, roll out on a lightly floured work surface to ¼-inch thick.
- Using a jersey or sweater cookie cutter (see note), stamp out cookies. Re-roll scraps as needed. (Keep in mind, however, that the more times you re-roll the dough, the less tender the cookies will be.)
- Bake on parchment-lined baking sheets until set, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
*Notes: A simple decorating icing can be made by mixing 1 cup powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons milk; add food coloring to reach desired shade. Filling condiment squeeze bottles with icing is an easy way to pipe it. You can find colored icings, sprinkles, and jersey cookie cutters at Sur la Table in downtown Sarasota.