- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup corn kernels (thawed, if frozen)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed
- ½ cup water
- 8 corn or flour tortillas, warmed or toasted
- 1 cup shredded Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado, diced
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Lime wedges, for serving
Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned in spots. Season with salt and pepper and transfer corn to a plate.
Return empty skillet to medium heat and add remaining tablespoon oil. Add onion and cook until soft. Add garlic, cumin, and paprika. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add pinto beans and water and bring to a simmer. Cook until beans soften and have warmed through, about 3 minutes, then use a potato masher to mash beans into a chunky paste.
Spread beans on each tortilla. Top with cheese, cabbage, cooked corn, avocado, and a dash of hot sauce, if desired. Serve with lime wedges.
About this recipe
Last year Americans ate over 4.5 billion tacos! That’s 490,000 miles of tacos, which could take you to the moon and back.