- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ small head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed or toasted
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, stems removed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon honey
Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Combine chicken, water, and chili powder in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and gently cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove chicken and set aside to cool slightly before shredding. Reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid, strained, for salsa.
To make curdito, combine cabbage, carrot, and scallion in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine lime juice, honey, and ½ teaspoon salt. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to combine thoroughly. Let curdito rest at room temperature while you preparing salsa.
In a blender, add tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, oregano, honey, and reserved ½ cup cooking water. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Fill each tortilla with shredded chicken, curdito, and drizzle with salsa. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.