- 4 large artichokes
- 1½ cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (or other Italian cheeses)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. Prepare each artichoke by cutting off the stem so that it stands up straight. Peel off any outer leaves that look really tough. Then slice across the top about 1 inch below the tip so it is flat across. Wash inside and out, spreading open the leaves.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, and garlic powder in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle artichokes generously with oil and stuff with breadcrumb mixture, making sure to stuff into every crevice. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water. Place artichokes in pot, cover, and bring water to a simmer. Steam artichokes until leaves are tender, about 45 minutes.