- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup orange blossom honey
- ⅓ cup orange juice, plus 1 tablespoon zest
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange blossom water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup unsalted, creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ teaspoons orange blossom water
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottom and sides of two 9-inch, parchment-lined cake pans.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, olive oil, honey, orange juice and zest, orange blossom water, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix until well combined.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean, 30–35 minutes. Place pans on a cooling rack until warm, and then turn out cakes onto rack to cool completely.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and beat until creamy and fluffy.
To assemble the “naked cake,” frost the middle layer and top of the cake, leaving the edges unfrosted. This exposes the colors and textures of the cake inside. Garnish the cake with flowers (such as fresh lavender, or orange blossoms when in season), herb sprigs (such as rosemary and thyme), sliced almonds, and/or twists of orange zest.
NOTE: Orange Blossom Water, distilled from bitter orange blossoms, is traditionally used in Mediterranean countries to flavor drinks, salads, and desserts. It can be purchased at local Mediterranean restaurants Sahara Cafe & Market or Oasis Cafe.
About this recipe
* Double cake recipe to get a stunning four-layer look.