To make the crust:
- Heat oven to 325°. Grease bottom of an 8-inch springform pan.
- Combine butter and cookie crumbs until moistened. Press firmly into pan to form an even crust.
- Bake until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
Now make the cheesecake:
- In bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and mascarpone on medium-high speed until fluffy, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add sugar, lime juice and zest, and salt; beat until smooth.
- On low speed, add eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides after each addition.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake until set but still wobbly, 35-40 minutes. Don't worry if cake cracks or forms air bubbles, as you will be covering it with Lychee Jam. Let cool to room temperature.
Then prepare the jam:
- Pulse lychees in bowl of food processor until roughly chopped. Transfer to heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add lime juice and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cook until syrupy and thick, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in a tiny bit of beet juice or food coloring until desired shade of pink is reached. Let cool before spreading over cheesecake.
The final touches:
- After topping with jam, refrigerate the cake overnight.
- To serve, remove sides of springform pan and top cake with whipped cream and lime zest. Serve immediately.