Sponsored by Whole Foods Market, Edible Sarasota’s Holiday Cookie Countdown features a scrumptious cookie recipe every day of December until Christmas.
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Oil, for frying
- Combine coconut and confectioners' sugar in large bowl and set aside.
- Combine butter, water, sugar, and salt in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Add flour and beat with a wooden spoon continuously until a ball of smooth dough forms and begins to smell nutty, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat dough for 1 minute to cool slightly.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until fully incorporated before adding each egg. Beat until smooth.
- Add enough oil to a straight-sided skillet to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 375°.
- Working in batches, use a small cookie scoop to carefully drop a scant tablespoon of dough at a time into hot oil. Cook, turning as needed, until puffed and golden, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and toss with coconut mixture. Serve immediately.