- ½ pound calamari, cleaned, bodies cut into ½-inch rings
- 1 pound large Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup fresh tomato juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup chili sauce
- ¼ cup lightly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- Avocado, for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
1. Adjust oven rack to highest position and heat broiler to high. Pat squid and shrimp dry with paper towels. Toss with oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange seafood in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil until cooked through and charred in spots, about 5 minutes. Let roasted seafood cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine tomato juice, lime juice, ketchup, chili sauce, cilantro, scallions, tomato, oregano, hot sauce, garlic, and jalapeño. Stir until well combined. Add seafood and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
3. To serve, top with diced avocado and oregano leaves. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.