- 2-pound piece of watermelon, sliced into 1-inch-thick rounds
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon or lime
- Handful microgreens or sprouts
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Sea salt, optional
About this recipe
In this week’s recipe, I put a spin on a classic summer salad pairing: watermelon and feta.
When it gets hot, it’s important to stay hydrated — watermelon to the rescue! This warm weather-loving fruit is over 90% water, helping to keep us hydrated when we start sweating. It’s also high in vitamin C, phytonutrients like lycopene (awesome for heart health), and antioxidant carotenoids, making this a surprisingly anti-inflammatory and healthful fruit. This is news to me! The riper the watermelon, the healthier it is, and the best way to know if you’re getting a perfectly ripe watermelon is to trust the farmer you’re getting it from. Luckily for us, there are local farmers who can help you out with that, such as Worden Farm.
Microgreens are the baby sprouts of vegetables and herbs, usually harvested within the first two weeks of growth. Yes, they are a somewhat annoying restaurant trend, but don’t let that stop you from making them a part of your diet. They are too healthy to dismiss! Some varieties have up to 40 times the nutritional content of their fully-grown counterparts! Think of them as juiced-up superfoods.
Cayenne pepper is one of nature’s hardest-working medicines. From easing cold and flu symptoms, preventing migraines, and relieving allergies; to aiding digestion, preventing blood clots, and supporting weight loss, this spice is one worth having on hand and using often.
- Cut each watermelon round into 4 triangles. (If watermelon is already quartered, simply slice into wedges.) Arrange on a serving platter.
- Combine feta, mint, and scallions in a small bowl. Squeeze lemon over watermelon slices.
- Top with feta mixture, microgreens, and a tiny pinch of cayenne. Season with salt, if necessary (the feta may provide enough salt, depending on the brand). Serve immediately.