Sponsored by Whole Foods Market, Edible Sarasota’s Holiday Cookie Countdown features a scrumptious cookie recipe every day of December until Christmas.
- 3 large egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- Beet juice or red food coloring, for tinting meringues
- Sanding sugar, for decorating
- Heat oven to 200°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine egg whites and sugar in bowl of a standing mixer. Place over a small saucepan of simmering water. Warm egg whites, whisking constantly, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in salt and cream of tartar and remove from heat.
- Beat mixture on medium-high speed with whisk attachment until stiff, glossy peaks form and meringue has cooled, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in rose extract and beet juice or food coloring.
- Pipe 1-inch meringue dollops onto prepared baking sheets using a pastry bag fitted with a ⅜-inch fluted or round tip. Bake until crisp on the outside and able to easily release from parchment, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Gently dip meringues in sanding sugar, if desired.