Makes 8 slices
- Whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin, ½ cup maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl or small baking dish until thoroughly combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in medium skillet over medium to medium-low heat. Working with 2 pieces of bread at a time, submerge bread into egg mixture and press to thoroughly soak up mixture. (If you want the French toast to have more of a bread pudding texture, soak the bread overnight before cooking.)
- Transfer soaked pieces to skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, about 2–4 minutes per side. (Let next 2 slices soak while cooking.) Wipe skillet out between batches and continue with remaining butter and bread.
- Keep french toast warm while preparing pepitas. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons syrup in small skillet over medium heat until bubbling. Add pepitas and cook, stirring constantly, until syrup is thick and sticking to seeds, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plate to cool.
- Serve French toast topped with a dollop of ricotta, candied pepitas, and drizzle of maple syrup.