- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ⅔ cup almond milk (preferably homemade)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (preferably grade B)
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
About this recipe
Oats are a fabulous grain for people who are trying to eliminate or reduce gluten in their diet. Even oats that aren’t labeled as “gluten-free” are better tolerated by people with gluten sensitivities. But gluten doesn’t need to be a concern to start incorporating oats into your regular diet. With a high fiber content and unique antioxidant compounds, they are particularly beneficial for heart and digestive health. Soaking the oats, as we do in this recipe, makes them even easier to digest and therefore reap all their rewards.
Chia seeds are becoming more and more popular as the news of their benefits beyond sprouting into adorable “pets” (remember the Chia Pet?) spreads. Firstly, chia is one of the few plant sources to contain all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein (a status typically reserved for animal products). They provide plenty of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3s. Like most nuts, seeds, and grains, soaking them helps release all their powers.
- Combine oats, chia, and almond milk in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight (8 hours).
- Top with mango, coconut milk, syrup, and shredded coconut to taste. Eat. Be happy.