- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Nancy’s Chipotle Sauce
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken, washed and split in half
- 1 cup apple juice
Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken and marinate in refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove from marinade and place skin side up in 225°–300° smoker, dark meat closest to heat. Cook until internal temperature reaches 165°, about 1 hour, mopping with apple juice after 30 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes. Serve with barbecue sauce on the side, if desired.
NOTE: Nancy swaps out a rub for a marinade to ensure the chicken stays moist while smoking. Nancy’s Chipotle Sauce is available for purchase at the restaurant or Morton’s Market. When not available, substitute your favorite barbecue sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy’s Bar-B-Q: nancysbarbq.com
HOW TO SMOKE ON THE GRILL
- Bank 45 lit coals tightly to one side of charcoal grill with bottom vents open. Place 2 wood chunks over charcoal.
- Fill an aluminum pan with water and place on empty side of charcoal grate. Add cooking grate with hinges over charcoal. Cover grill with vents open.
- When desired temperature range is reached, clean the grates. Place meat over pan as far from charcoal as possible. Cover grill with vents over meat.