- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 (14-ounce) cans jackfruit, drained and lightly rinsed (see note)
- 1 onion, chopped
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large ripe plantains, peeled and cut on a bias into ½-inch thick slices
- 8 soft rolls, split
- Mayonnaise or Vegenaise, for serving
- Sliced pickles, for serving
- Shredded cabbage, for serving
1. Combine orange juice, honey, garlic, cumin, pepper, oregano, and 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Season generously with salt. Add jackfruit and toss gently to combine. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until golden and sweet. Add marinated jackfruit along with marinade to the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and jackfruit begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Cover to keep warm while preparing plantains.
3. Heat about 1 cup vegetable oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. Add plantains in a single layer and cook until golden brown on one side, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook second side until dark golden brown and caramelized, about 4 minutes. Move plantains about and adjust heat as needed to not scorch plantains. Drain on paper towels.
4. To serve, top each split roll with a little mayonnaise, mojo jackfruit, pickles, fried plantains, and cabbage.
About this recipe
Jackfruit is a vegan meat substitute similar to hearts of palm. It can be found in health food stores or online. If desired, you can substitute about 3 cups shredded cooked chicken for the jackfruit in this recipe.