- 2 fresh pompano fillets (6–8 ounces each)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for fish
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- ½ cup fish or vegetable broth
- 6 large Gulf shrimp
- Fresh basil, for serving
Heat grill to high. Season both sides of fish with salt and pepper and lightly brush with oil. Grill fish until lightly charred on each side, about 1½ minutes per side, it should not be fully cooked. Set fish aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet big enough to hold both fillets over medium heat. Add garlic, olives, and capers. Once garlic begins to brown, add tomatoes and continue to cook for a few minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Add fish fillets and shrimp, cover and cook until shrimp are cooked through, 2–3 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.