- ¼ pound salt pork or bacon, diced
- 2 pounds mangrove snapper fillets (or any large, firm-fleshed fish), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- Saltine crackers
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups half and half, scalded
- Paprika, for serving
- Fresh rosemary, for serving
1. Place half the bacon in a layer at the bottom of a Dutch oven. Layer half the fish over the bacon. Next, add a layer of half the sliced onions and half the sliced potatoes. Add a layer of crackers and dot with half the butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat a second layer with the remaining bacon, fish, onions, potatoes, crackers, and butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add hot water until the mixture is approximately half covered. Cover and simmer over medium heat for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the water has cooked away from the fish mixture; the bottom layer should be browned.
2. Add the scalded half and half and cook until heated through (do not boil). To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with paprika and rosemary. Serve with cornbread.