- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli stalks (or stems and leaves)
- 1 cup finely chopped kale ribs
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup mix of parsley, cilantro, rosemary (whatever you have), chopped finely
- ¼ cup minced green olives
- 4–5 yellow/red small tomatoes, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 medium baguette, cut into ½-inch slices
- ¼ cup feta crumbles (optional)
Chop broccoli stalks and kale ribs (use a vegetable peeler to remove broccoli’s tough outer skin, if necessary).
Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan. Carefully drop in broccoli/kale pieces and blanch* about 30 seconds.
Fill a medium-size bowl with water and ice cubes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer veggies to ice water for 1 minute. Drain and lightly pat pieces dry.
Mix in 2 tablespoons olive oil and ¼ teaspoon kosher salt.
Heat a nonstick skillet to medium/high. Add broccoli/kale pieces, reduce to medium, and cook 6–7 minutes, until soft.
Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, herbs, olives, tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice. Mix and season to taste.
Toast or grill bread; top with mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and/or sprinkle feta.
About this recipe
Note: Blanching reduces toughness/bitterness. If you don’t have time, cook greens over very low heat with an additional tablespoon of oil, for longer time).