- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds chicken pieces (thighs, legs, and wings are best)
- 1 head garlic, separated and cloves smashed and peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns, coarsely ground
- Pinch of pickling spice (optional and Mama’s secret addition)
- 1 cup vinegar
- ½ cup soy sauce
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Working in batches, add chicken and brown on all sides.
Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Sauté garlic in the same pot until fragrant. Return chicken to pot and gently stir to coat chicken with garlic. Add bay leaves, peppercorn, and optional pickling spice and gently stir to coat chicken.
Add vinegar and soy sauce and let come to a boil. Turn to low, cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, 15–20 minutes.
Remove chicken from liquid and place in serving dish. Turn up heat and boil liquid for 5 minutes until it thickens slightly. Pour over chicken and serve with steamed white rice.