- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound Fedeli or angel hair pasta
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + 3 tablespoons for finishing
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ pound clams
- ½ pound mussels
- ½ pound calamari
- ½ pound shrimp
- 3 good pinches saffron
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme
- 8 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup good white wine, Chardonnay preferred
- 3 cups shrimp or seafood broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- The best crusty bread, buttered!
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large flameproof skillet, heat canola oil on medium-high heat and toast pasta until slightly browned; remove and set aside.
Turn range to high heat, add olive oil, garlic, shallots, and chili flakes, and cook for 1½ minutes. Add all seafood, saffron, and herbs and cook for 2 minutes, tossing and turning all the while. Add wine and cook for 1 minute. Add seafood broth, salt, and pepper; cook additional 1 minute. Toss in the toasted pasta, butter and place in oven* for 8–10 minutes. Remove from oven, serve in a big glass or ceramic bowl, family style. Dunk the bread—it’s intoxicating!
* If using a convection oven, cook only 6 minutes.