Sponsored by Whole Foods Market, Edible Sarasota’s Holiday Cookie Countdown features a scrumptious cookie recipe every day of December until Christmas.
- 1½ cups eggnog
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons bourbon or rum
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for decorating
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- Confectioners sugar, for decorating
To make the filling:
- Combine eggnog, sugar, and salt in medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in corn starch. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and bourbon. Let cool before refrigerating until thoroughly chilled.
For the dough:
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, scraping bowl as necessary.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour, scraping bowl as necessary, until a soft dough forms.
- Divide dough into two portions, form into 1-inch-thick disks, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or until ready to use.
- Heat oven to 350°. Portion dough into 1-inch balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Use thumb to make a deep indentation in each cookie to hold custard after baking. Bake until light golden, 16–18 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Fill each cookie with a dollop of cold eggnog custard. Dust with confectioners sugar and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.