- 4 fresh hogfish fillets, about 4–6 ounces each
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 split buns
- Tartar sauce, for serving
- Lettuce, for serving
- Sliced tomato, for serving
1. Rinse the fish fillets with cold water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl or pie pan, combine flour, ½ teaspoon salt, paprika, milk and egg to make a batter. Place cornmeal on a large plate. Working with one fillet at a time, dip in batter, turning to fully coat both sides, and then in the cornmeal, pressing the cornmeal onto the fish until it is well covered.
2. Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until very hot (almost smoking). Place the fish in hot oil and cook until golden brown, 3–4 minutes. Turn the fish and continue cooking for another 3–4 minutes until crust is golden brown and fish flakes easily. Transfer fried fish to paper towels to drain any excess oil.
3. To make sandwiches, spread buns with tartar sauce and top with lettuce, tomato, and fried fish.